Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I've Gone to the Dark Side

We did it. After months and months of research and hand-wringing, today we marched into the store and purchased our first Apple computer - a MacBook. I have several friends who have volunteered to help me make the transition from PC to the Mac, since all my computing life I've been a PC person. We're talking about years and years of archived documents generated during half a dozen careers that I'm afraid I will always need to have access to. (Don't analyze my reasoning here, just let it be.) This evening, a friend gave me a quick overview of how Macs generally operate, and I have to say, I'm smitten. The graphics, the intuitiveness (is that a word?), the cool interfaces... amazing.

So, the animal chores took a back seat to computer play today, and now it's entirely too late to be up, but here I am. Tomorrow I'm going to get back to scouring and organizing the barn, pens, feed pans and waterers - jobs I started today with gusto, before the trip to the electronics store, when all progress ceased. There was some wrestling the new machine away from Emma. She's catching on annoyingly quickly, and has nearly a whole sitcom filmed and edited on the laptop. What is it about the way synapses connect in the brains of twelve-year olds? Not fair.

I also hope to have more information about the Big Meet-Up on the 23rd. It'll be worth checking back.

4 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! A PC-to-Mac convert! It's not the dark side...it's the smart side! Enjoy your new toy.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Welcome to the world of Mac, my friend! You're gonna love it here. And yeah, you're going to have to do some serious wrestling with Emma for it, I predict.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it here i mac world. i got mine a year ago. it is great! as i spend so much time abed, it stays really close. my audio books are great to listen to while knitting or trying to go to sleep. i still need to go to the monthly class but something always comes up! if you figure out how to get mac mail to work, clue me in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shreeeeek! You finally got your lap top! Good for you. And, I envy you getting a MAC. I went with the PC only because of affordability. I think you made a wise choice!

    ReplyDelete