Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pegged the "Yippee!" Meter

To say that today's Fiber Farms Meet-Up was a success would be to significantly understate the facts. We had a rip-roaring blast.

The weather (one important variable outside of my control, dang it) was great, in spite of the weatherman's threat of rain. Periods of overcast skies gave us breaks from periods of pretty direct sun, but no rain spoiled the day's activities. I think several of us will be pink in places for a couple of days.

Susie brought a wonderful dyeing demonstration, and in a very short time, we learned a lot of how she gets her wonderful yarn all those cool colors. We all decided that dyeing would be our new obsession. Everyone has their own particular way of dyeing yarn, and I picked up some great new tips for success. Can't wait to try them out!

I gave away some gifts donated by great local vendors: Khatter Vineyards, Lucky Layla Dairy Farm, Rita's Originals, Terrific Fibers, and more. I didn't get to all the cool stuff I wanted to give away, so I'll be doing that here on the blog in the near future.

Everyone brought awesome food (whatever you do, get Susie's hot pepper brownie recipe), which we enjoyed under the shade of the big Hackberry tree in the front yard. This gave us lots of company from the neighboring sheep pen and the chicken coop. And what wonderful conversation! We learned more about Susie and her CSA program (always learning, me...) and we got to know each other better. I particularly enjoyed getting to know ladies who had only been internet voices before today. And what a blast to mix my local spinning friends with Susie's shareholders, some of whom drove from central Oklahoma to attend today!


We didn't get to spend quite as much time on our drop spindle lesson as I had wanted--the day just seemed to fly by--but I think we got Susie going pretty well before she had to leave. And I think the knitters made some progress on their projects, too, as we sat around and visited.


For Susie's take on the day's activity, go here to her blog. She and my new friend Suzy from Oklahoma took some wonderful pictures. My thanks to Ted, too, who got some very fun shots.

If you weren't able to come but wanted to, I talked to Susie about coming back when her book is released for a book signing. I'll let you know when that might happen as soon as I know, so you can all plan to come back out for more fun.

8 comments:

  1. Man, this sounds like it was so much fun...I'm itching for those spinning lessons!!! :) Glad the weather was nice for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a ball! Thanks so much for everything, Cindy. I know how much work is involved in putting something like this on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited for you that this went off so well! Looks like you had quite a crowd! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great time--I made new friends, saw some old ones, and put faces with internet (Ravelry) names. I was even lucky enough to come home with some yummiscious fiber (Cindy, I'm coming for spinning lessons soon). And became a shareholder. Pretty nice day for sure!!! BTW, thanks to Cindy for putting together the perfect get-together. Everybody really enjoyed it. Can hardly wait til we do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was sooooo much fun!! Also, one of these days I will remember sunscreen. Srsly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had such a great time. Looking forward to the next one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sad I had to miss it. Had good quality time with in laws & hubby, but I was thinking of ya'll! Looks like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a blast and thoroughly enjoyed winning a prize! I have to admit, I am a little pink.

    ReplyDelete