Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Rug or Placemat?

The answer will depend on two things: 1) how long my attention span holds out and 2) how long my cotton yarn holds out. The first is the most critical.

I had some friends over for a bit o' knittin' in the Red Barn this afternoon, and I've learned that it's best to work on a simple project with no counting or fancy stitch patterns while I visit. My jaw starts flapping and my mind goes off on a dozen tangents, and before you know it, I've royally messed up my stitches. Today was no exception. Thought I'd try some simple crochet - the movement and rhythm of crochet stitches are soothing to my hands. But I was trying to crochet a hexagon, and that involves counting and Getting It Right. I tore out my work at least three times. Finally, just before my friends left, I switched to an oval shape. I've been saying I'd like to make a cotton rug. It's a simple shape I can manipulate as I go, by sight, rather than by counting. So I got a bit of a beginning going, just as everyone was heading out the door. I continued working on it after dinner tonight and have a decent piece shaping up.

But the question is - how far will it go? Will I give up when it's only big enough for a placemat? (Good grief, then I'd need FOUR! No way.) It's not thick enough as it is to be a decent rug. I could crochet an identical oval and sew them together around the edge... No, that would mean doing the same thing twice and I'm here to tell you - it ain't gonna happen. Besides, I'm not using a pattern, and the chances that the second piece would match are pretty poor.

I've had an idea. I'll crochet the whole thing once, and then sew a matching piece of felt sheeting to the back for thickness. I can tie it in places like a quilt to keep the two layers together. Easy peasy. Promise I'll let you know if it gets done.

3 comments:

  1. Lord knows you've got enough stuff to make felt with... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have the felt ready to go. Except I may dye it first. The sheets I have are natural colors, which is fine, but I'm thinking the backing for this rug might be nice in .... (wait for it) GREEN!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I like this! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete