Monday, July 13, 2009

Season of Stillness

DH reminded me this evening that even though we constantly work for "balance" in our lives, it most often proves elusive, if not impossible. Too many things are constantly changing to ever find a point at which all things even out. And trying to FORCE any kind of balance usually frustrates and discourages us. Instead, we learn from the natural world around us that the system is wired for "seasons;" periods of time best suited for certain activities. During these seasons, "non-seasonable" activities really need to just put a sock in it and leave us alone.

For instance, when it is over 100 degrees outside, it makes more sense to blow off manual labor in favor of a cool drink and maybe a siesta. Summer works well for indoor projects, eating food that is currently ripening in the field, and putting stuff aside for the winter. On the other hand, brisk fall days are perfect for working with the livestock and making fence repairs. You do NOT want to be chopping firewood in July.

With all that in mind, I'm trying to use this hot "indoor" season to dig into the mystery piles of chaos that have grown up in the house, and to work to bring about order and peace. I'm all about the trashman this week. What around here is no longer serving me, and is in fact, aggravating me by taking up space and appealing to my nostalgic bent? Those things are going in the trash or to Goodwill. Nothing is off limits: photos, keepsakes, files, office supplies - all are coming under my scrutiny. I've already excavated about 20 square feet of office floor that I haven't seen in years. Feels good. When you're hot, you want to cast off stuff that is weighing you down.

Except yarn. The yarn stays. In fact, digging through all my sidelined projects has given me the urge to get going on some knitting and crochet. Fresh off the success of my All Shawl, I'm ready to cast on another quick, fun, functional project.

Pal Laurie and I have cooked up a good (non-yarn) project that we can do indoors, and use up lots of that coarse fiber that just can't go to the processor for our fiber shares: dog beds. We both are pretty competent with sewing machines, and we have some idle fabric that is speaking to us. Stuffed full of olofactorily-robust wool stuffing, we think we'll have dog beds that your Rex will go gaga over. I'll have photos soon of our prototypes, so you can give us some feedback.

But right now, I'm thinking, crocheted cotton rug. Just for fun. As I go to hunt up my size N crochet hook, I leave you with some sheep portraits I took this morning. The sheep were feeling slighted by all the attention the alpacas had been getting. Call this "equal time."

PS - Don't forget Saturday's Spinning Day! At 10 AM we'll pile into the COOL Red Barn and spin, spin, spin. We'll be giving drop spindle lessons, trying out various makes of wheels, and generally taking a much-needed break from our work-a-day worlds. Except me - this IS my work. Is this a great country, or what?

OK - here are your sheepy pals enjoying their breakfast today...

3 comments:

  1. A very wise gardener recently remarked to me that "Summer is our Winter here", and I think he's absolutely right. Up north, the wintertime is for hunkering down inside and reflecting/planning/etc . . . it's too cold to work outside. Here that is summer -- it's too hot to be outside and nothing really grows well if at all.I think we have a summer version of Seasonal Affective Disorder here . . . I know I get cranky and depressed during summer when it is so hot and mosquitoey that I can barely step out into my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Chris . . . we traded six months of winter coming from Washington State for six months of summer in Texas. Either way, they're both extreme. I love Ted's philosophy re balance, though. We could all use a dose of that lesson I think! A wise man!

    Can't wait til Saturday! See you then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY agree! PS. I love the sheep pictures!

    ReplyDelete