Saturday, August 08, 2009

I Don't Know Art, But I Know What I Like

It's not very often that I get to attend a gala reception at an art gallery, especially at the invitation of one of the artists. But tonight, Ted and I got to go into McKinney to the Laura Moore Fine Art Studio to see the works of a group of local artists. Including our own Linda Thieman! Linda's beautiful felt/bead piece entitled "Evoking Memories of Mars" was hanging prominently in the gallery for all the world to admire, and another cool piece sat on a low table, daring people to touch it. Fortunately, a sign warned admirers to keep their mitts off. (Linda, remind me of the name of that piece.... ) Shareholder Kate also attended the opening, lending her support to our Fibah Sistah. Way to go, Linda! Keep up the incredible work!

My pedestrian attempts at art today amounted to a bit of crochet for a birthday gift. My aunt is redoing her home decor with a Tuscan flair, and really likes sunflowers. So, I did what any quick thinking Yarny would do - searched Ravelry's pattern database for sunflowers. Came up with these fun coasters. Knocked them out in a day. That's what I'm talking about!

Also on the needlecraft front, my friend Jill came over today and we tackled our needlepunch kits. Wow. That takes a bit of a knack, and Jill and I are still working on our technique. Not as easy as it looks straight out of the box. Going to need a bit more time to get it down. But I'm encouraged to keep working. I think it has some interesting potential. More as it develops...

One thing I missed getting pictures of today, was the bon voyage of our big alpaca-llama boy, Gideon. Gid is going to live out east in Lone Oak, as the companion to a yearling llama on a many-acre alpaca and horse ranch. We loved Gideon and all, but he did not have the fiber to justify taking up pasture space. I guess I'm getting much pickier as a fiber farmer, as the years go by and I get more experience. I do have to keep an eye on the bottom line. But this frees up space for, perhaps, more Jacob sheep. Nothing definite, but I am having some conversations with a shepherd out west who may have some interesting prospects for us. More later...

I'll leave you with a shot of the spinner who met me this evening on my locking-up-the-chickens rounds. This bad boy was neither itsy nor bitsy. Hope he eats lots of mosquitoes tonight!

3 comments:

  1. I go through Lone Oak every six weeks or so, on the way to my folks in Mineola. Maybe I could get visiting privileges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Linda! Needlepunch Cindy? You needed another craft to add to the mix? ;-) Can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:39 AM

    That was a quick post Cindy! I sure enjoyed seeing you and Kate and really appreciate your support and enthusiasm for "Mars" and "Texas Twilight Hoodoo". It's always great to visit with other fiber artists and have a chance to share experiences and inspirations! Linda

    ReplyDelete