Monday, August 24, 2009

Sheep Wrangling 101

Queen Esther's daily foot treatment has given DD and me plenty of opportunity to improve our sheep-catching technique. I have a ways to go. Let's just say I'm not one of those people who makes it look easy. She still has no interest in being caught, but at least with constant repetition, she's no longer leaping clear over the hay feeder or bashing her nose against the fence panels to get away. Hopefully, she's figuring out that getting caught does not automatically mean she's going to get eaten. Every day, we dip her foot briefly in the iodine and then gently let her go. I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where she just says to herself, "maybe if I just stand here quietly, these yahoos will do their thing and then leave me alone." We can only hope.

2 comments:

  1. Bless her heart! I know she'll learn that you're okay! Ken occasionally has to "chase" (at a walking speed) one of the goats around the pen in the evening. 'Round and 'round they go until finally she gives up and goes through the gate. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri4:07 PM

    OK - that sounds like a perfect video op. Tell Emma I've got the perfect music - silent film score called "The Chase". I can see it now - sped up and black & white. hehehe

    ReplyDelete