Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Whole New Rhythm

DD started public school this week, for the first time ever. As I expected, she's taking to it like a duck to water. I really expect her to do very, very well. This change means that instead of three half-days of school per week, with manage-your-own-time-and-assignments on the off days, she now has five full days of class. For her, this means less free time here at the farm, but more time interacting with her new friends. This, she loves. Preliminary reports are favorable regarding teachers and classes, too.

For me, it means three times the amount of hours I previously had to myself to get stuff done around the farm. So far this week I've cleaned the front porch, the living room, done several loads of laundry, made dinner, cleaned the kitchen, run errands, got a haircut, all the regular twice-per-day animal chores, and about twelve hundred little jobs that didn't even make it onto the "to do" list.

I'm exhausted. I wonder if I'll have any strength left by the end of the week? All the things that piled up over the summer are now clamoring for my attention, and I'd LOVE to have them off my back. But I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to pace myself. Don't want a repeat of the sore back scenario.

Important accomplishments: Yarn Storm box went out yesterday. Twenty-six pounds of yarn love are making their way to the coordinator in New York. Harvest fiber is almost ready to send to the processor. I am shooting for having that gorgeous stuff in the mail by the end of next week. Working on plans for the fall events here at the farm. I always get concerned right about now that the holidays will be coming at me like a locomotive before I know it. A good offense is the best defense, right?

But out in the pastures, the critters continue to wait out the heat. Nobody's in a hurry. They move slowly and take life pretty easily. Soon, the crisp air will bring out their latent friskiness, and the rhythm will change again.

3 comments:

  1. Forgot to credit DD for these great photos today, and yesterday! Thanks, Wonder Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS PICTURE!!! I may want to commission Emma for some pictures to add to a collage frame that Pina bought me for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verrry nice photography! And, waaay too many accomplishments... Slow down, you move too fast. You've got to make the summer last...

    ReplyDelete