Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day Festivities

The folks at Capital One Bank were kind enough to invite me to have a table at the Earth Day celebration they held for their employees in Plano. I was honored to be among some fellow small, local farmers, like Lucky Layla Farms, Humble Beginnings Farm, and the Cross Timbers Food Coop. I got to network with them, as well as a bunch of very nice Capital One people.


A good handful of people signed up for more information about knitting and spinning lessons. I live to spread the fiber love...


Then this evening, I was also honored to help Cadet Girl Scout, Alana, give a presentation on raising fiber animals as part of her Gold Award project. She did a great job explaining about all the different kinds of fibers, and helping some Brownies learn how to knot friendship bracelets.

It's important to keep handing down the crafts and knowledge from generation to generation.

On Earth Day, we think about how we can take better care of our environment. I try to do my part by avoiding unnecessary chemicals on our property. This keeps our animals safe and healthy. Especially our free-range chickens, who gather quite a bit of their own food from the yard and pasture. In turn, they give us these fantastic eggs every day.


Growing our own fiber also keeps our resources close to home. The boys were looking particularly winsome today...


What the media call "Earth Day," I just call "stewardship of the land" - every day. I was entrusted with an incredible treasure, and I'll be accountable for the way in which I use it and multiply its potential. You're welcome to join me...

No comments:

Post a Comment