Thursday, May 13, 2010

DIY Yarn

Sometimes a girl just has to put the "to do" list aside, push away from the computer, roll up her sleeves and make something. I have plenty of supplies around here to make just about anything I want. But today, a stack of plastic grocery bags was staring me down, trying to make me feel guilty for forgetting my cloth bags to bring my veggies home.

Nothing for it but to "reuse" some of the offending plastic. Let's make yarn, 'k? Here's a quick tutorial, for the next time you're stranded on a desert island with nothing but a stack of plastic grocery bags, some sharp scissors, and a crochet hook.

Take your first bag. Flatten it out and smooth out all the wrinkles.


Fold it in half.


Fold it in half again.


Take some sharp scissors and cut off the bottom, where the plastic was sealed.


Begin cutting strips - mine are about half an inch wide.


Cut up to the handles, and discard that part (Shhhh. Don't tell. Hey, it's a lot less plastic in the landfill than it would have been!)


Open each strip to see that it is a big ring. Connect a second ring to the first with a slip knot.


Gently tug the knot closed. Be easy - these rings can be delicate.


When you have a good amount of connected rings, wind the new "yarn" into a ball.


When you have enough yardage to do something with it, commence knitting or crocheting. Make anything you like. Not sure what this is going to be yet.


Now, it's back to the "to do" list, feeling quite righteous about this tree-hugging goodness.

5 comments:

  1. You're funny! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I'd known this cutting technique a few years ago.... I may have to attempt this again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Now I know how to use up all of these bags. I have big knitting needles. Lets see what I can create. Alpacamama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:32 AM

    I think I just might give that a go! How about a crocheted shopping bag? I think it would be good and strong and would hold potatoes better than a carrier bag! Thanks for the idea!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Caroline - I'm thinking a market bag of some type. It should be strong, and I'll still be taking the store's bags back to use over and over. If I can just remember to keep it in the car!

    ReplyDelete