Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It's a Relief, Really

Finally just made the decision to postpone the Festival today, and heaved a great sigh of relief. The weather man says we could have rain beginning tomorrow and pretty much on and off through the weekend. Next Saturday's forecast is just out of reach, but I'm going to go for it. Our principal players are on board with the new date, so that's it. Hope you can come, too. Rain or shine, fair weather or ill, we're going for it.

What if it's moderately nice this Saturday, in spite of the weather man? Come spin at the Little Red Barn, of course. Don't want to tidy up for nothing, now do we? Come knit and spin!
Meanwhile, great sources of relief at work in other areas as well...

The North Fence is Finished.

That is cause enough for a week-long celebration and massive revelry. Finally, all that grazing area on our northernmost property can be used by the sheep in relative safety. And the sheep are, quite literally, eating it up. Glory, glory, halleluia. I just have to convince Judah that the dog-biting electric fence is gone and that it's safe to venture in to the Big Field. He got quite a fright from his encounter with the electric netting.

I Practice with Fruits and Veggies.

We aren't really growing grapes (yet), but I'm developing a new habit: stocking up at Sprouts once a week after a workout, and I'm also working on using fresh vegetables much more in my daily eating. (When our garden is mature, lots of stuff will be coming out of it!) Moreover, I'm trying to come to grips with prepping all these veggies right when I get home from the grocery store. I know myself. There's easily an 80% better chance of getting the vegetables eaten if they are cleaned, chopped, seeded, peeled, stemmed or shucked before they go into the refrigerator.

I brought this stuff home today. Plus strawberries and blackberries which are still on sale - and are now in the freezer.

Now, radishes. I love to grow radishes and they're pretty to look at. What can I do with them besides eating them just like they are? If you comment with a great idea and/or recipe, I'll send you a little prize. Bonus, if it's something I can get my non-radish-loving family to eat. How's that?

Bon Apetite!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:08 AM

    Hi Cindy,
    I have just been looking up radishes in my book from Heligan Gardens,(www.heligan.com here's the link) an old victorian garden in Cornwall that has been restored and is now a showcase for tourists to visit. THey produced their own recipe book which also gives the history of some of them. Radishes were used by the Pharoes and had a whole book dedicated to them in ancient Greece! They like you, suggest seving them raw with a salad, or simmering briefly with veg stock and butter. Looking on here, I found the folowing (I think I have to try this)

    Baked Radish Chips
    10 radishes
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp paprka
    Directions
    1.Thinly slice radishes
    2.Steam in a microwave for 5 mins (sounds a long time?)
    3.place i a bowl and stir in the spices
    4.Bake at 350 degrees C for 10 mins, flip over and return to oven and cook for further 10 mins.

    There are also many different varieties of radish. The ones sold in the shops are often the round red variety. There are also long red ones, long white ones ( I think the variety is called icicle). Steve once grew a black, winter variety, it grows quite large, but it is not for the faint hearted as it is red hot! I enjoyed it, I love spicey! Hope you enjoy the chips!
    Best wishes
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Caroline! Now I'll have to try it! I've already sliced my radishes... off I go!

    PS - We've been thoroughly enjoying the "Victorian Farm" videos you sent. They are addicting and I can't wait to see the next episode! It's starting to cut into my work day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:42 PM

    Oh we watched a bit of it last night too! So glad you're enjoying it!
    You should also take a look at the Heligan site, one of the best sites I have visited, web cams, how the garden has developed, even a gardener's blog! O and when you see pictures of the clock tower, my brother in law helped to restore that building! He also helped to convert the beautiful house into flats (apartments).
    C

    ReplyDelete