Saturday, May 29, 2010

Men At Work

Our friend Michael is right - a day working on the farm helps you feel like you've really accomplished something. The jobs that need doing around here usually really show, once you're finished.

Today Michael kindly lent his experience growing up on a goat farm, and his young strong back, to Ted and me as we tackled more farm chores. These are the kind of chores that don't inspire much passion, and are, in fact, at the bottom of the "can't-wait-to-get-out-in-95-degree-weather-and-tackle-this" list. But what a blessing they are to us!

First they filled the ruts in the driveway with more gravel.


They leveled the floor in one of the alpaca stalls so that it will drain better.


They helped me move the chicken coops to fresh ground. They turned and watered the compost/manure pile (you're jealous, I can feel it). The alpacas were fascinated.

They added another layer of gravel in front of the stalls to help with the mud, assuming it rains again someday.


Nice, eh?

They also replaced a dead fan in one of the stalls, and Michael helped me put up the working electric netting in the south pasture. Now I can let those ornery Jacob rams out onto grass again.

I also got to wash a couple of really nice Jacob fleeces. These are a couple that I got from Fred Horak of St. Jude's Farm. If I didn't know better, I'd think these had been coated - there's hardly any grass in them at all. Gorgeous wool.

They're full of crimp and as soft as a baby's behind. A quick wash, spin, rinse, spin and they're drying out on the skirting table over night.

Only 20-25 more fleeces to go.

Hmmm. Michael has offered to come back... Maybe he'd would like to learn how to skirt fleece??

No comments:

Post a Comment