Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mud Bugs

Taking a break from farm chores today, we accepted a generous invitation to our friends John and Alta's crawfish boil.

This is the annual event where Alta (noted food blogger) hangs up her apron and lets John take the stage. He goes all out with the traditional Cajun feast with all the fixins. And nobody goes home hungry.

Alta and stepson Brandan peeled a boat-load of crawdads for folks who prefer not to do the deed themselves. I see it as working off part of the calories you're taking in. I peel my own.

For non crawfish eaters, there was a full array of alternatives - hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, and desserts. Needless to say, I fell a bit off my food plan.

I also had my first soft drink in nearly two months. Y'know, it wasn't very good to me. That's a first. Maybe this time some new healthy habits will stick.

But the meal was wonderful and I loved meeting Alta's friends and family.

Upon our return, we found Ruth lounging queen-like on the sofa. We had to break it to her that she had crossed a line. No dogs on the sofa. Even if it fits her like a glove.

I think she is adapting to this house-dog thing pretty well.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:50 AM

    We are having our Church picnic this evening. Looks like you had a good time. Ruth looks real confortable on the couch. It looks like it was made especially for her. Have a good Memorial Day. Alpacamama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:11 PM

    Wow! That looks as though it was a really great break after the 'Men at Work' episode! You certainly all work very hard on the farm, so you deserved some time out eating those delicious fish! Yum!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you and the family came! It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete