Friday, June 04, 2010

The Pain of Starting Over


“We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -C. S. Lewis

This evening I discovered that after starting over once and then getting about nine inches into the swim suit cover-up I'm crocheting for DD, I had been making a mistake. Over and over and over. It's been a while since I crocheted like this, and I was omitting the last stitch in the row that should be worked in the top of the turning chain.

You can see immediately that if I continued in this way, eventually, I'd have a lovely pyramid-shaped piece that would not do for a garment.

I had come to a fork in the road. Continue on and engineer some kind of side gusset to fix the shrinking circumference, or bite the bullet, rip it out, and start again.

I've been at this place before. I've jimmy-rigged fixes for projects on the fly, and then had to remember how I did it for the second piece, only to end up with a Frankenstein-looking project that never measures up to the original vision.

I let out a big sigh, and I ripped.

So tomorrow, I'll begin again from Row 2, where things went awry, counting the stitches in each row until I'm satisfied that I'm back on the right road. And I'll stop whining. I only started this project yesterday, and I have all month to finish it. (I'd love DD to be able to take it to camp with her.) And besides, it's much less painful to rip crochet than it is to rip knitting, for me. A walk in the park, really. I mean it.

Right. Off I go... ouch.

5 comments:

  1. Yes. OUCH. NEXT time I'm going to supervise the crochet teacher myself....ripit, ripit, (stupid little frog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, you know, Ms. L, it was kind of like taking off a band-aid. Smarted for a minute, but now it feels lovely, and I'm so much happier knowing I'm going right. Ahhhhhhh..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:58 AM

    I know all of those feelings! I was making myself a lacey top, going to have to rip! It's too small! Only trouble is, I'm then going to have to put it on hold.....and I'm sure you know this one too.........too many other things pressing on my time! Including other knitting!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. that just happened to me too!!!! I had to rip a lot and mine was just a little blanket but was omitting the last stich and had a trapezoid looking thing too..
    I re-did it and now is a very skinny rectangular thing!! I DONT KNOW!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh, I am so sorry! But, you are right, get it ripped and re-started and you feel MUCH better. I am glad you made the decision quickly, sometimes it takes me days to make the decision. You are a smart gal!

    ReplyDelete