Monday, July 19, 2010

Free At Last

When I came home from church one Sunday several weeks ago to find all the sheep in the back yard, I realized that our fencing job in the far north pasture had been insufficient to the task. We had tightly fenced three sides and assumed that the fourth side, while a little old and ragged, would hold them in. It didn't. I'm grateful that I didn't have any tragedies on the road.

But the solution had to wait. The sheep would just have to tough it out in the near north paddock until we could do something permanent. I had to travel some, and the weather was uncooperative other times, so it was just this weekend that we were able to address the problem. Our friends Bennett and Michael came out and cleared brush, rolled out fencing, set one new pipe post, fixed a very wonky gate, and early this afternoon, the job was done. We even managed to finish the job with materials we had on hand - fencing, concrete, pipe, wire. Nice.

I turned the sheep out this evening to their boundless delight. Not only do I love to see our nine woolies standing ankle deep (or more) in green grass blissfully gathering their own sustenance, but I think about all the expensive hay I won't have to throw over the fence for the foreseeable future.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for the new fence! I am very happy for you and your flock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching your video, having just been there two days ago, made me grin from ear to ear, and actually get misty-eyed with happiness for the sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! They look pretty happy to be chomping down on that new pasture. Good for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of an old joke:



    Teacher: If you have ten sheep in a pasture, and one finds a hole in the fence and escapes, how many sheep do you have left?

    Shepherd: None

    Teacher: You don't know very much about math!

    Shepherd: You don't know very much about sheep!

    ReplyDelete