Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Guineas


Not the country - the poultry.  The Farm was gifted with three new guinea fowl today. - This is good news for us, but bad news for our friend Mary, whose livestock guardian dog was making terminal sport of her small guinea flock.  No one can figure out why Bear ignores chickens but mauls guineas--maybe because of their flying ability--but in any case, Mary felt like she needed to rehome the three survivors.



I put the three exotic (prehistoric-looking) birds, transport cage and all, into the chicken "tractor" with our two guineas and five young chickens, and let them get acquainted.  Tonight, when it's dark, I'll open the transport cage and let the two groups mingle, while they're sleepy and disinterested in each other.



Our last integration experiment worked wonderfully well - let's pray this one does, too.  Then I just have to decide when to open the door and let all this tractor's inhabitants become part of the free-range crowd. 

6 comments:

  1. I think the skills you're learning would translate to cruise director.... *;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope a cruise director's clean up duties are less stinky. The salary would have to be significant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my guineas kill the chicks if given a chance and are quite mean to the big chickens. I hope yours work better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all a big experiment, Mea - like you, I hope it works...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know - 2 more came home from next door tonight, and I'm ready to bring them over. Another white one, and another gray one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My tractor is getting a bit crowded, Mary - Bennett is hoping to get over here early next week. If you can wait (if they survive) maybe I'll have a larger coop to keep them in. I'll keep you up on how it goes.

    ReplyDelete