Tuesday, August 17, 2010

No More Waiting

I can't string you along any more. Our materials haven't arrived in the mail yet, but I'm not standing out there by the mailbox, stalking our poor letter carrier any longer. Here's what I've been waiting to announce for DAYS:


The Farm is now host to the "Little Red Barn Farmgirls" Chapter of the MaryJane'sFarm Sisterhood!
Click on the picture above to go to the Sisterhood site.

If this is new to you, hold on to your knickers. (If it's not new to you, let me get an Amen!) Mary Jane Butters is an amazing woman who has put legs on the idea that "Farm Girl" is an attitude--a way of life, and that gals like us all over the country need to get together to live out the dream. She has built the infrastructure to get us girls together and to have a blast learning more about this lifestyle in all its forms. Farm Girls are all about living green, recycling, helping others, using the "old ways," and getting involved with nature and healthy food. Here's how she describes it:
"A farmgirl believes in the strong arms of friendship, community, and the just plain fun of being together. A farmgirl takes joy in the quiet satisfaction of making things with her own hands. She exudes kindness, grace, humility, gentleness, patience and generosity, and loves the simple pleasures in life. A farmgirl is loyal and caring, especially when it comes to her family, friends and community. She gives generously of her time and talents. Farmgirls love to get together to share their ideas. She can be with or without fields and stock. Farmgirl is a condition of the heart. "
Is that us or what? There are chapters all over the country and ours will start with those interested who meet at the Barn, or extended friends, or whatever. There are badges to earn, skills to learn, and awesome activities to enjoy.

This group is independent from the Farm, but I expect there to be quite a bit of overlap with the regular Barn Gals. Maryann Roths (profiled yesterday here on the blog) will be our Hen Mother with me assisting any way I can. There may be more informal jobs that need volunteers - we are still learning more about that.

We're just in the beginning planning stages of how the Chapter will operate (meeting days, frequency, etc.) so nothing is set in stone yet. Do go to MaryJane's website and learn all you can about the organization and see if this is something you might like. Then comment here or send me an e-mail (ctelisak@juno.com) and let me know that you'd like more info. We can talk about it on Saturday at our regular LRB spin-in day, too.

MaryJane has invented the wheel, and now all we have to do is trick it out to suit US. The sky's the limit... Who's with us?

4 comments:

  1. How exciting about your new chapter. It sounds like a lot of fun. I just heard about Mary Jane's a few weeks ago when I got something in the mail about the magazine. I ordered it and can't wait to see what it's like. But, I had no idea there was so much more. I clicked on your link and started reading through the website...there's so much to see! I'm going to contact some of the chapters near me. Thanks for this post! I look forward to more posts about your new chapter. Have fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lalala! Me! I'm interested! Me me! I wanna be a Farmgirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN, SISTER FARM GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said "badges" - I'm in!

    ReplyDelete