And we're delighted to welcome a new member to our UK chapter of the LRB:
Caroline's husband, brand-new-spinner STEVE!
Then the usual mayhem ensued.
As promised, here's Rita's recipe for the most incredible hand-made pimento cheese with hatch chilis, pictured above:
Equipment: Large bowl, larger than you think you need. Food service gloves, cheese shredder or food processor, sharp knife and cutting board.
- 1 lb mixed firm cheeses, shredded. I use a blend of at least two cheeses, a mild cheddar and a sharp cheddar, but any cheese that you can shred in a food processor or by hand will work
- 1/4 onion chopped, usually red, but today I used yellow 'cuz that's what I had
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- A healthy sprinkle of dill weed
- 4 oz jar of pimentos
- Mayonnaise to taste, start with 1/2 cup
If you are making a larger batch I find it best to layer the ingredients for quicker mixing
Put on some latex or vinyl kitchen gloves and dig in. Play with it, squish it through your fingers, mash it. Have fun. When it looks well mixed stand back and take a good look. You may need to add more mayo. Add mayo until it is the consistency you like. I like it soft enough to spread, but not soft enough to dip. Taste and enjoy.
This is not so much a recipe as it is a set of guidelines to get you started. You can add pickled or raw jalapenos for kick. Roasted green chilies are great too. I like substituting smoked cheeses sometimes.
Have fun and share with your friends.
Hmmm. "Have fun and share with your friends." Sounds like our motto here at the Little Red Barn.