Saturday, November 27, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Glen drove 80% of the nails and screws that hold this farm together.

I don't like to let go... of stuff, of good times, and especially of people.  But today I needed to say goodbye to a dear friend.  My friend Glen will be in heaven soon - so suddenly that none of us have wrapped our minds around it.  Gall bladder surgery turned up a cancer that has eaten him alive in just a matter of weeks.

His handwriting is literally on everything you see around the farm.  You can still see his left-handed scrawl where he measured twice to cut once.

Glen built most of this farm.  He and a motley series of helpers labored on the house for months until his steady working partner, Dan, joined him.  He plumbed it, built the cabinets, laid the floor, hung the sheet rock, and more.  He built the Little Red Barn.  He built the animal barn.  He and I ran hundreds of feet of livestock fence.  Everywhere I look, I see what Glen built.  To put it bluntly, JRF wouldn't be here without Glen.  He worked every day for over a year, driving 30 miles each way, to get our house livable.  He never failed to show up, almost always brought his own tools, kept the helpers on task, and made me laugh every day.  Glen could talk the paint off a barn wall.  I never met a man with so much to say.


Today at the VA hospital, I saw a mere shadow of the impish little guy he used to be--barely a frame.  It won't be long.  But I had the privilege to tell him how much I cared about him, and how thankful I am for all he has literally built into my life.  I got to hug him and let him know that he's safe in the arms of Jesus--loved and treasured.  We cried together.  His family surrounds him.

Today, it was a precious gift to say goodbye.

 One of the only pictures I have of Glen, working with Dan on the Little Red Barn in February of 2006.

11 comments:

  1. Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his faithful servants. Ps. 116:15. May the Lord the close to this precious saint in these days. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about Glen. My heart aches for him and for you. I am glad you found out in time to say goodbye. I know it meant a lot to him to know you care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing a loved one is never easy. His New Body is waiting for him in Heaven. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got goosebumps and now have tears in my eyes. May his journey be swift, that he won't suffer too long. Cancer is a very sad disease,
    God Bless you,

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were a blessing to him, the Lord put you and your farm in Glen's path in order to allow Glen to have one last joy in his life. He truly enjoyed building JRF or he wouldn't have put his heart and sole into it like he did. May your thoughts of sorrow and loss be fleeting and your memories of his work on your farm bring smiles everyday and every time you get a glimpse of something he made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy to have the work of his hands all around you, and what a huge blessing for him to have been the hands of the Handiwork the Lord has established on your land ! There is no doubt his life was blessed and enriched by laying out the foundation for your precious farm. Shalom, my brother, Glen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blessing that you got to tell him goodbye, that he will be home and that one day we will all get to enjoy his stories on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:21 PM

    I have tears in my eyes after reading your tribute to Glen. I hope it will give you peace to know that soon he will be in God.s hand with a new body, whole and free of pain. Alpacamama

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Cindy, how very sad. What a shock for everyone this must be. What a wonderful legacy he has left behind for you and your farm, though. May our Lord and Savior comfort him in these last days, as well as strengthen the loved ones surrounding him.
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. What sad news! Glen's loving handiwork was not only an incredible blessing for you and your family but also your JR family members who have enjoyed the fruits of his labor. Please send him our deep love and appreciation for all he has done.

    ReplyDelete