Monday, January 24, 2011

New Alpacas Coming

 
 Our new white guy is far left, and our gray guy is dead center.  They're used to being part of a crowd.

I took a little trip over to Greenville today to have some fiber playtime with our friends Amy and Rena, and also to visit with the two alpacas we'll be receiving from Amy next week.

We're getting a lovely white guy and a cool gray guy with some white tuxedo markings.  Both boys are very soft, and will make a wonderful addition to our fiber harvest.  In fact, their fleeces from the last shearing were part of the 2010 CSA harvest.  Candy for your fingers; can't you just feel it?


They have registered names, but you know our convention - Biblical call names.  I'll be working on that and let you know what's decided before they arrive.  In the meantime, take a look - aren't they cute?


The white boy has some dental issues, but Amy says that once they're on pasture instead of dry lot, that his baby tooth hanger-on will probably fall out (yes, they're both almost two years old).  Here, he'll get more opportunity to pull up grass all day, and that should dislodge his snaggle tooth.  The gray boy has some pretty markings, and you know how I love the gray color...


Back inside, we worked on the other end of the fiber process.  I think I must be on a mission, because today we taught Rena how to knit continental.  She's already quite an accomplished knitter, but she's only ever knitted English.  Check out this incredible shawl she just finished:

Just needs blocking to spring into glorious life!

But we all love learning new things, so we sent her home with a homework assignment.  I'm practicing my art yarn spinning, and having a blast.  I'll let you know how that's going when I get some finished skeins.

2 comments:

  1. I can't get enough of those faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:41 PM

    Yippee! More alpacas. They are secretly my favorite, you know. Shhh, don't let the others know. Well, except I love the doggies too. :D And Smokey :-).
    Karen

    ReplyDelete