Friday, January 07, 2011

Puppies

Some awesome and wonderful and amazing things came together yesterday, and today I can let the cat out of the bag... or rather the puppies out of the bag... (Trumpet fanfare.)

These photos are borrowed from Susie Gibbs' blog - since I can't take my own yet.

Jacob's Reward Farm has been lovingly gifted with BOTH of Susie Gibbs' Maremma puppies--a little boy and a little girl.  Susie and I are both blown away, and in a state of Squee.


I am still in a little bit of a daze, really.  That much love all at once feels like a warm, smooshy, puppy-breathy concussion.  But what a way to go.

Let me say it again - both of these lovely future working dogs are coming to Texas to grow up and protect our sheep and alpacas.  They will live with Judah and Ruthie, who will teach them lots of the important things they need to know about guarding flocks, and we will help too, with exposure to people and chickens, our kitty and our alpacas and sheep. 

It's a long process and will require some diligent work on our part, and when the babies are mature, we'll have priceless farm workers, dressed in white fur and wet noses.  They come from excellent stock, and should prove to be outstanding LGDs.  (The mom is Susie's Lucy, and the dad is Cini - both carefully-bred, proven guards.)  Eventually, we'll spread the four dogs out so that both our north and south pastures will be protected.


I'm working on names right now, names that will honor both the Juniper Moon and Jacob's Reward naming conventions.  Gonna run my ideas by some folks and get back with you soon.  The puppies are only about three weeks old right now, born on December 16, so there is some time before they can come to Texas.  And we'll be working on how to make that happen, too.  More as it develops.

Now, are you OK?  Were you sitting down when I told you?  Can you stand it?

14 comments:

  1. What a great thing for the farm. A real adventure awaits you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is AWESOME! They will have a good home here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY that is adorable! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give me the puppies and nobody gets hurt. Hey, I had to try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MissMoosey11:16 AM

    How wonderful! I read both your blog and the JMF blog religiously. I was heartbroken when I read that JMF wouldn't be keeping Lucy's puppies. But now that I know they're coming to this wonderful home where they will be given lots of love (and where I can read all about them), I am beyond thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww! So adorable. Hard to believe that one day these cuddly balls of fur will be guard dogs. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I can hardly stant it! They are soooooo precious! Not hardly scarey enough yet for guard dogs, but I am sure they will be well trained for their future job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful for you and Susan both!! This is truly exciting news!! I can't tell you how happy I am for both of you. Those pups will be an awesome addition to Jacob's Reward, and knowing you, Susie won't have to worry about them. Congratulations to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doggie teachers are the best for little pups! These are going to grow into the best guards your flock and herds could have! They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome! Did you ever get a bridge across the creek?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah for you...just read the great news on Susie's blog...

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Judith - no bridge yet. It never gets boring enough around here for us to turn our attention to the other side of the creek ;-) !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to on the new additions. They are both adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! Great pics, it's amazing how big they are even when they are "tiny"! :-D
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete