Saturday, January 29, 2011

Scientists Dishin' the Dirt


 I hope it was as beautiful today where you are as it was here in north central Texas.  My, oh, my.  The cold will be back in a couple of days, but today it was the best of springtime dropped into winter as a special treat.  

So what better way to spend this glorious day than putting our scientist friends to work taking soil samples in the pastures?  This job has been on my list for years, just because I'm curious about the soil chemistry and condition.  We want to grow the most nutritious forage possible for our sheep and alpacas.


I'll mail these samples off to Texas A & M University to their lab, and they'll send us back a report telling us all about the micronutrients available in our soil.  Sometimes this testing can point out deficiencies in the soil that might pose a problem for the critters, or show us where we need to amend the soil.  I really think we're ok, but it's always good to check.

And who better to help with this job than Science Officer Chris, and scientist friend Angela?  This kind of job is just up their alley, and they were wonderful samplers. 


We did not get to do any halter training with the alpacas after all today, but the next session is on the calendar for February 12, weather pending.  We'll also be doing fecal checks, and you sure don't want to miss that... ahem...

And speaking of vet issues... I finally have evidence that Jethro is officially a wether (neutered boy sheep).  I found it in the pasture.  And that's all I'm going to say on that topic.


2 comments:

  1. When they add water and see the Gum-bo form they will know exactly where the soil came from. No where else in Texas is the dirt like ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black gold, eh Judith?

    ReplyDelete