Monday, March 14, 2011

Wildflower '11

The Wildflower Fiber Retreat in Tyler, TX is a huge landmark in my fiber year, and has been for the last nine years or so.  I've gotten to know some really fantastic ladies from around the state who converge on this incredible, campy facility to learn and spin and knit together.  We never know exactly what to expect, as the weekend hits just as the weather begins to break into spring.  Many times it's been rainy and cold, but this year, we enjoyed a little bit of heaven with mild temperatures, brisk breezes, and sunny skies.


About fifty of us circle our spinning wheels in front of the great fireplace and begin to unwind from the stresses and tensions of whatever situations we leave behind for a couple of days.  You can feel the relaxation slowly spread around the room over the course of that first evening together.


Many of these ladies I only see at this retreat, so it's a special time to get together.  And usually, there are some new faces who have come for the first time, and from far away.


Our theme this year was Mardi Gras, and Color was King.  We worked with paints to explore color combinations and relationships...


We spelled our names in color...


We wove on cardboard with color...


We blended color fibers to create one of a kind art yarns...


We dyed mohair roving to see how liquid colors combine to form new colors...


Can't wait to see mine spun up.


Heat setting in a roaster...


Midge explains it all for us...


Enraptured dyers...


One of the best things about Wildflower is that, in spite of all the learning opportunities, there's plenty of time to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.


I love everything about the woods.  Found lots of pretty stuff.... bulbs coming up...


Lots of bird houses for native songbirds...


Pine cones...  I love pine cones.  we don't have many pine trees in my part of Texas...


Twisted branches....


Which reminded me to go back inside and twist some fibers.  I spun more yarn this weekend than in months before.  What a blast.  Still making up sample yarns for the art yarn class I'm teaching at the DFW Fiber Fest next month...



Of course, we eat very well at Wildflower.  
Lots of Cajun stuff this time, complete with sparkly King's Cake.


Thanks to everyone who stopped by my little booth and took home treasures.  
I picked up a few treasures of my own.


I've got even more pictures of all this frivolity in my Flickr set.  

The weekend always ends too soon, but I'm so blessed to be able to travel home to my family and the sweet world of the farm.

It's your farm, too, you know, and this Saturday is Spin-in day!  Bring your knitting and your wheel and let's enjoy a little mini-retreat right here at the LRB...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It all looks like so much fun! I sure wish I lived close by. I'd love to join in on some of your activities. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful for the Little Red Barn to get us through til the next Wildflower ! A
    Mini-retreat is a little slice of heaven :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, that looked like it was a lot of fun. We have a church camp close to us that would be a great place to host an event like this with some bible study too. Maybe sometime in the future we could do something like this here. That camp has quilters and scrapbookers already, may have to do some studying up and have something in the spinning/weaving/knitting/crocheting field. It would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete