Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Raising Backyard Chickens 101


 Farmhand Gail is working overtime to prepare a wonderful workshop this Saturday here at the farm for folks interested in raising their own laying hens for fabulously fresh eggs.  Participants will leave with a bunch of resources for getting off to a good start with their own flocks.  We've had great response from the public, through our Local Harvest page, and we will have a really fun day, meeting new friends.  Instead of a fee, I'll put out a donation jar to help Gail offset some of her expenses in sharing all this great information.

 
If you'd like a spot at the workshop, and a copy of all the materials, please let me know either in the comments below, or in an e-mail (jacobsreward at juno dot com), and we'll be happy to have you with us.  This workshop will be part discussion, part coop tour, and maybe a little chicken-handling for the newbies.


Our regular spinning/knitting time will still go on in the LRB, so please come for that, even if you don't need to know how to raise chickens. 

7 comments:

  1. Is there still space? I wanna come!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what are you doing about the snakes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judith - since I can't rebuild all my coops from the ground up, I'm just going to try to stay ahead of the snakes by collecting eggs several times a day. My hope is that if they don't find anything when the come to the nests, they'll get bored and quit. Also, I find that as spring turns into summer, the snake sightings are much less frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm planning to come! What time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please save me a space. I want all the help I can get to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, this is an incredible class! I wish I could attend. I hope you get great turnout and that it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete