Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Fun on the Farm

My friend Keely loves to teach about farming.  For years she ran a program at her farm for school kids so that they could learn about all kinds of farm animals and practices.  That's how I met her.  She paid me to provide a spinning module for the kids as they moved from station to station learning about poultry, hooved animals, farm dogs, etc.  It was one of my first paying fiber gigs.

Keely and her painted draft horse, Belle.

This year, she's working with the trustees of a wonderful facility in McKinney, the Meyers Park and Event Center, to provide the same kind of program for area school kids.  I saw the facility for the first time tonight -- it looks like we could put on a first class stock show there.  Wet weather won't ever be an issue for us here, thanks to the completely covered facility, and its lovely concrete parking lot. 

This place is really big.
Tonight we ran through the whole program to show the facility owners just what it is that we do, so that they could evaluate it and decide whether to market it to area independent school districts as a top-notch field trip destination.  I think we did a great job.

Elizabeth and her dogs.
First, Elizabeth showed off her wonderful border collies with some agility exercises, to show how biddable and valuable her dogs would be on a working farm.

Site of the awesome spinning module.
Then I went through a presentation about fiber and spinning for the kids and adults.  I haven't figured out how to take pictures of myself going through the motions, so you'll have to trust me when I say that I laid them in the aisles.

Keely shows off her Jacob sheep.
Then Keely paraded all her various farm animals for the group, explaining all the super cool things about each one, and how they should be treated and handled.

The mini brahma cow.
Victoria, the mini donk, has sharp teeth and iffy dental hygiene.
Goat's milk, anyone?
Cookie, the appy llama (had a very shiny nose...)
Finally, the kids got a chance to see and touch the animals up close.  Big fun.

Kid with kids.
Cowgirls and sheep.
As their last stop, a representative from the Farm Museum gave the kids a talk about what farming was like in the Olden Days.

The cost of produce in the 1800's.
If your kids go to school anywhere in the DFW metroplex and you think they'd enjoy this kind of field trip, talk to your ISD people, and get Fun on the Farm booked for next year.


The only thing cooler is coming here to Jacob's Reward for a farm visit...   Just sayin'...

6 comments:

  1. I would have loved this type of field trip when I was a kid in school (a hundred years ago, hee, hee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a show! So wonderful of you to help connect this generation of youth with farming and ways of doing things that are falling out of fashion.

    And I want a mini brahma now! Sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:15 PM

    I LOVE Belle the painted draft horse and Cookie too. And every other critter in the place. y'all ooze cool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little girls look like future Farm Girls to me! *:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:54 PM

    Hi Cindy!

    Aw, this is so cool. Wish there was this kind of thing when I was a kid. :)

    Jess (aster29)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:58 AM

    I'm an adult and I'd go see this even now!

    As an aside, I grew up on a chicken farm and each year the local kindergartners would get a tour. I was pretty proud when it was my classes' tour.

    Luckydog

    ReplyDelete