Friday, July 01, 2011

Catching Up is Hard To Do

Holy cow - where did the week go?  Last I looked, it was Tuesday, and now we're here at the weekend.  It was a blur of awesome farmy activity.  I'll try to recap...


During the heat of the summer, farmhand Laurie and I spend as much time as we can cleaning fleeces to send to our processor, Spinderella's.  We put a pretty good dent in the Wall of Fiber this week, but we have a long way to go.  But what a treat to spend hours and hours up to your armpits in gorgeous wool and alpaca fiber...



One of my fascinating visitors this week was Amy Normand, of Holistic Management International, an organization whose goal is to "educate people to manage land for a sustainable future."  HMI does a million different things to accomplish this goal, like specifically supporting young beginning women farmers--"beginning" meaning less than 10 years.  Their website is chock-full of free, downloadable resources that takes hours to plumb.  Though they are based in Albuquerque, they offer all kinds of seminars and workshops all over the country.  On October 11, they'll be holding one of their "Empowering Texas Women in Agriculture" seminars at the Dallas Farmer's Market - free, including lunchGo here for more info, and to register.  Gail and I will be going -- wanna come with us?

This is an organization I can really get behind.  Did I mention that they're non-profit?  They'll be delighted to take your donation, if you would like to support the cause.

I had another fun meeting with my new friend, Nadya Tatsch, a Shaklee distributor I met through mutual friends.  I had been looking for someone who had Shaklee stuff because I've been wanting to get a large container of their "Basic H" product.  Joel Salatin (bow slightly) uses Basic H in his water buckets for his cows, as a wormer - a non-chemical wormer - to which the parasites do not become immune.  Plus, I've been hearing for years about this simple product as a cleaning agent, and I respect the corporate philosophy and practices of this 50+ year old company.

It was cheaper for me to get a distributorship than to pay retail for the five gallon bucket of Basic H, so badda-bing badda-boom, I'm now a distributor, too.  Need Shaklee stuff, let me know.  I'm still learning, so we can learn together.

Nadya is a lot of fun and is an active, dynamic promoter of all things healthy, so she'll be a great member of our farm-ily.  You'll like her.


Today, I got to visit with a neighbor from down the road - a gentleman that Gail and I met on a spontaneous excursion that led us up his driveway a couple of months ago.  Peter raises llamas, goats, chickens, etc., on the very outskirts of Plano.  We have to get to know our neighbors who are working to raise the same kinds of critters we are.  Peter is from China, but speaks pretty good English.  Today we had a lovely visit, swapping notes about how to raise our South American camelids in the Texas heat.  We also talked about how to make a go of this farming thing, in a tough economy.  And I convinced him to raise his price for his free-range eggs, up to market level.  We've all got to help each other out.  I think we'll visit a lot more in the near future - he's very interested in putting his llama fiber to work.  I really enjoyed our neighborly chat.


And this week, the LRB has been busy - spinning student Elizabeth took the Ashford Traveler home to work on some gorgeous singles, and our pal Peggy came by to pick up some Yarn Storming yarn for her friend who makes chemo caps and other charity items.  Never, ever a dull moment around here.

DH and DD return tonight from a ten-day cross country working vacation, and I'll be happy to have them home.  Though I must admit, this week and a half of me-and-the-farm time has been pure joy.

Have a wonderful Fourth of July weekend, my friend!

5 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!!! I am a Shaklee user from WAY back in the 70's. Love their stuff, but kinda quit using it (it lasts so long that you can loose your dealer in the time it takes to use the products up!) I will try to come by (at your convenience) to place an order, I too need Basic H, but not in a 5 gal. drum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I'm going to the HMI meeting on Sept 12th just south of Austin. So women further afield can sign up for that one too! Isn't Amy great? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, ladies! Yeehaw to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to HMI website to check what starting kids on the land is all about. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Cindy, for a wonderful experience and welcome to the Shaklee family.
    Welcome to the Shaklee family. If anybody needs Shaklee, they can just call 1-800-shaklee and let them know your name or Shaklee ID (WX04410) and what products they want.
    Here is my blog post about my wonderful experience: http://www.thenaturalpower.com/jacobs-reward-farm-parker-tx-healthy-environment/

    ReplyDelete