Saturday, November 26, 2011

Going Global

Today in the Little Red Barn, we were literally all over the map.

Brenda brought her friend, Tsigereda from Ethiopia, who casually sat and spun cotton on one of my drop spindles most of the day.  And made it look easy.

Candi made the trek from far-away Arlington, and shared very cool stories about Liberia.

Of course, Anela was with us to represent the Polynesians, and Hanane hails from exotic Oklahoma.  Brenda's a born-and-bred Texan.

Dina grew up in Panama, and spoke Spanish as a kid.  

Hassan, Hanane's husband, comes from Morocco, and speaks four languages. Five, if you count "cat."

I got to tell a little bit about my project with a new friend in Nepal, to bring wool products here to the US to sell, to benefit his church.  It's still a little embryonic project.  I'll tell you more when it gets a little bigger.

Tsigereda treated us to some Ethiopian injera bread - a personal favorite of mine.  In fact, my favorite restaurant in Dallas is The Queen of Sheba.  We take all of our out-of-town guests there, and go there on special occasions.  Ethiopian food is the bomb.

Look at her spin that cotton.  She's not even breaking a sweat.

And speaking of cotton, here is the two ounces of super wonderful cotton I'm going to gift to a lucky winner who comments here on the blog.  We've even rolled some of it into ready-to-spin punis.  (The camera made it look yellow - it's really bright white.) 

I'm looking for suggestions on how we can make the farm more sustainable, organic, charitable, compassionate or welcoming.  Leave me a suggestion by 9 PM on Monday night for a chance to win this light and fluffy, cotton-candy goodness.  Then we'll get Tsigereda to teach you to spin it.  LOL.

8 comments:

  1. E Andert10:00 AM

    Well, I'm from Indiana (not exotic), and I've never spun anything in my life. I'm fascinated by your work, and started following you because of SG at Juniper Moon. I do know how to crochet, and can make a mean scarf or dishrag, but that's about it.

    Oh, and I'm going to China in about a month, on a musical tour (I'm a bassist), so does that make me more international? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exotic Oklahoma, You forgot the part about where we ride camels and hunt rabbit. LOL

    Pick ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im trying to learn to spin cotton. These pictures are inspiring. Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm ready to learn to spin too. I know I said I'd leave that to others, but now that I'm a weaver, I guess I should partake.

    Have you considered solar panels? They have some that you can use for patio roofing. You could set up an area outside the little red barn with a nice patio under for those warm days when everyone wants to be outside but not in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't really a suggestion, more of an "I wish." I was *just* thinking to myself, "Wouldn't it be neat if Mrs. Cindy grew little Christmas trees for people to come get?" I thought it would be nice to have a small (3-5 foot) tree this year, but I am SOOOO tired of buying everything at WalMart....

    Oh, and please, don't pick me for the cotton. I don't have the time right now to spin it, and I would hate to see it sitting around, collecting dust. I want it to go to someone who can really use and appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have really enjoyed your blog. I knit and crochet (basic stitches only:). I also spin, however, have never spun cotton...yet. Here at my little fiber farm I love how so many things seem to be recycled in some way. The chickens eat bugs in the pasture and all the fruit and veggies that have fallen to the ground in the garden. I even just gave them our Halloween and Thanksgiving pumpkins. In return they are little fertilizing machines. Also, I take an extra couple of knitted or crocheted scarfs with me when holiday shopping downtown (usually in chilly Chicago or KC). When I come across someone appearing needy looking for donations from passers by I have dropped a scarf in their cup or box with my donation. I hope it is a little warm hug for them or whoever it may have been handed off to.
    Thanks for all your inspiration! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, I have several suggestions because these are things I would love to try myself if I had the time and space:

    I keep waiting to drive up and one day see beehives set up. Local honey is soooo good and good for you! If you don't have the time to process the honey, maybe you could just provide space for another area beekeeper to put hives.

    Vermiculture! I took a class in it but still haven't gotten around to setting a system up in our house. But I love the idea of raising earthworms to improve the soil and one more way to compost! And it really is easy, I just need to figure out where I want to put my bins.

    Solar cookers would be fun. Anybody in the gang tried this yet?

    Cheesemaking (Hmmm Chris, didn't you successfully create your own mozzarella)

    Although yarn bombing is fun and pretty, now that it's getting cold outside all I think is that pillar may look cool but it doesn't have cold ears! I think it would be fun for the gang to start donating time to make chemo caps, regular caps, lap blankets, baby hats....for Samaritan Inn, local hospice, local NICU,...

    ReplyDelete
  8. E Andert3:44 PM

    Oh! I forgot my suggestion! For charitable, have a knit/crochet a thon, and make hats, scarves, gloves for low income kids at your area school! (I'm a teacher.)

    ReplyDelete