Friday, December 23, 2011

Our Silver Lining

I know I said I wasn't going to blog again until after Christmas, but I just had to show you the very special addition to the farm who will be coming, hopefully soon.

Monaco Pine's Silver Lining

Meet our new alpaca man, registered under the name "Silver Lining."  He has a dense rose-gray fleece that you could just about eat with a spoon.

A better look at his ribbon-winning fleece.
I "met" this boy when I judged the STAR (State of Texas Alpaca Ranchers) spin-off competition a year ago last October.  I pulled his fleece sample out of the bag to evaluate and spin it, and nearly fainted dead away.  First of all, the color was magnificent, and secondly, the fineness and texture blew my socks off.  He easily won first place in his color and age group.  Super yum.

Our friend Lisa from Lubbock told me she knew this animal, and told me he came from her neighbor, Cindy Negen of Monaco Pines Alpacas.  I loved the fleece sample so much, Lisa helped me procure the whole thing once she returned home.  What a nice surprise!

Ms. Negen is a really savvy alpaca marketer, selling her own animals and also other breeders' wonderful alpacas.  I noticed a couple of months ago that Silver Lining was up for sale, with a price that reflected his quality -- way more than a fiber farmer like me could afford or justify.  I commented on her posts how lovely his fiber was, so that he might attract the attention of a worthy new owner.

To make a long story short, this amazing guy never found a buyer.  I'm chalking it up to the drought and high hay prices right now, because in other circumstances, this boy should have sold quickly and for a great price.  I told Cindy that if he didn't bring the kind of money she needed for him, I would make an embarrassingly low offer; one I could reasonably afford. 

Clearly this boy is supposed to be here - after a few weeks, Cindy e-mailed me that she had accepted my offer.  I cut her a check, and the gorgeous guy is ours.  We now are looking for an east-bound trailer to get him here from Lubbock.

Lisa spent some time with him and confirms that he is a really sweet boy with fiber that will make you swoon.  I still can hardly believe it.

The only downside to this story is that to make room for him, we have to reduce our herd here by one alpaca.  But even that isn't as bad as it sounds.  You see, at this same time, our friend Barbara, who used to own Gizmo and Jonah, has finally moved to her ranch property in Goldthwaite, TX.  She really wants her old boy Jonah back, to complete the herd she's building on her new place.  So next week, Jonah will head out to Barbara's, leaving a space for our new man to move in.  It seems meant to be. 

I've avoided calling him by his registered name much because you know he'll have to get a new call name to fit in with all his companions here at Jacob's Reward.  I have a couple of ideas, but I'm taking suggestions...

5 comments:

  1. I'm thinking Joseph too, since you are letting us know about him right here before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph, it is Christmas and he has a coat of many colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm... I see a trend developing... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's interesting, I thought to myself as soon as I saw him 'Joseph'! And that's what almost everyone else has said! Happy Christmas all!

    ReplyDelete